Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Now that's my kinda math!


I’ve always enjoyed math. That overly zealous school child, frantic hand waving and all, was me. I loved trying to solve a problem. It was a challenge, and I never wanted to back down.

Yet as I looked down at five numbers in May, it was enough to instill a little bit of angst inside my eager heart.

1.6.8.4.9.

Five of the ten numbers that exist in our numeric system. I was best friends with numbers in school. Why should these five quicken my heart beat now?

Well, you put them together, and you get 16,849. Sixteen thousand, eight hundred, and forty-nine.

And then you add one little seven-letter word.

Dollars.

Sixteen thousand, eight hundred, and forty-nine dollars.

Considering I had never made more than eight dollars per hour at that point in my twenty-three year old life, you can imagine why that figure was enough to keep my blood pumping fast. And as I looked down at that sheet one expectant spring day, I saw that $16,849 was the amount I needed to raise in order to serve in Kenya for one year.

I took a deep breath, reminded myself why I was traveling this path, and then dove head first into support raising.

But most importantly, I stood back, and watched God move.

You see, I honestly believe that motivation for giving comes from God, as He moves in the hearts of people. My part was to inform and give opportunity without imposing undue pressure or obligation.

I informed. God moved in hearts. And people gave.

And gave.

And gave.

I am humbled that my family, friends, acquaintances, and even strangers, entrusted their offerings to the Lord with me. That is a high privilege and a high responsibility, and I am highly relieved that I have the Holy Spirit within me to guide and direct my steps in light of that reality.

So for those of you who supported me financially, thank you.

Truly, thank you. I couldn’t do it without you.

I also know that my deep appreciation pales in comparison to the delight God finds in His children when they give readily.

“Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” [2 Corinthians  9:7]

Six months ago, I looked at those five numbers, wondering if I would be able to raise the amount equivalent to them. $16,849 needed.

 $16,849 (and some!) given.

100% funded. Now that’s my kinda math!

No comments:

Post a Comment