Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Just the Beginning

In the past two weeks, I hugged family members, friends, and co-workers. I went to doctors’ appointments, submitted paperwork, and sat in traffic. I wrapped gifts, wrote cards, and sang Christmas carols. Twas the season, and I was back to experience it in full swing!

Being in America causes a whole range of emotions to swell within me. Some are good and some are hard, but the undeniable truth is that I really am back on US soil!

With my homecoming date now passed, I’m left to process the year that just happened. Many question marks surround the coming year, but one thing is certain. Although this year has finished, it’s not the end of Kenya’s influence on me. Certainly I will carry the people and relationships and memories with me for the rest of life.

  
The young faith of many of my students encourages and challenges me in my own walk with God. Their exuberance and joy for life reminds me of the gift of life and of each day we have. Their humble attitudes and service to their families points me to Jesus’ own humility toward the many he served.


I invested the most amount of time in the 50 pupils who I had the privilege of teaching, but surely many others taught me and touched my life as well—fellow teachers, church members, young neighborhood friends, other missionaries, my roommates…and the list goes on.


So, yes, my year in Kenya has come to a close, but really, it’s only the beginning. The beginning of a faith enlarged from a year lived in another culture. The beginning of a hope brimming with the possibilities for a big future. The beginning of a love deep for people other than my own.

Ultimately, it’s the beginning of a life with a heart more filled. With my students. With Kenya. With the Lord.

Thank you for taking this journey with me, and may the Lord draw you closer to Himself as we all continue through this journey of life!


“Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.” [1 Timothy 1:17]

No comments:

Post a Comment